Issue 03.08.08
Bill Clinton comes to Philly. He's outside for a total of 5 seconds. The secret service rush him in the door of the Democratic City Committee's headquarters (to protect him from the crowds and the media?) and sneak him out the back entrance in a roped-off alleyway. For his arrival, people were kept at a distance by the police, and both Clinton and Obama supporters came out with signs and stickers to speak up for their candidate of choice.

Also on March 8th, a High School state quarterfinal basketball game between Freire Charter and Girard College. Player #33, Koron Reed, is one of the big stars of the night (with 5 slam dunks and 22 points scored) in this very exciting game.

Issue 03.04.08
Both Amy Wall and Robert Gutherman went from being deaf to having perfectly normal hearing after their families prayed to St. Katharine Drexel. Amy was a year old when her hearing was restored, and Robert was 14. They're here attending the Mass of the Feast of St. Katharine at the Cathedral Basilica in Center City.

Issue 02.28.08
Yummy-looking food at the White Dog cafe. I didn't get to eat any of it.

(This looks better in the paper than it does in the scan... you'll just have to imagine his face as if it was not washed out.)

Issue 02.26.08
Salman Rushdie speaks at Widener University. I really enjoyed him. Not only is he smart and interesting to listen to, he's quite funny, as well. The article was actually written about how horrified he was by the security there. There were metal detectors and police and dogs... all in the name of protecting him (he has a fatwa - a Muslim death sentence - on his head) but he told the Daily News reporter, Stephanie Farr, "I was absolutely horrified. Assault rifles, tracker dogs -- they scare me!"

Also on February 26th, I attended a vigil for a 15-year-old boy who had been killed (on his birthday) after crossing the path of the wrong person in a snowball fight. I'd been there with the reporter for much of the evening while she spoke to family and friends of Teven, but when TV crews and other photographers showed up for the vigil, I felt embarrassed to be associated with them. It seemed so disrespectful - like a media free-for all. I did everything I could to be unintrusive and sensitive to the people around me. The shot that ran was of the mother holding her son's photograph with her eyes focused somewhere in the distance as the cameramen interviewed her husband. I shot from a ways behind the cameramen and framed the shot so just the mother and Teven's picture were visible. I was most proud of myself for making a meaningful picture without being disrespectful to get it. I included the color version, along with another vigil pic, below.



Issue 02.18.08
The Unbridaled Fashion show. All the pics they printed in the paper are also in the slideshow they ran online. You can see it here:
http://pdn.philly.com/photo
Issue 02.12.08
I spent nearly 4 hours in 12 degree weather to get this shot. I was close to tears and exhausted from the cold after the first 2 hour attempt to capture images of people out in the frigid weather which produced no publishable results. I warmed up for a bit in the newsroom an hour or two then headed back out. I have never been more relieved to take a picture.

Issue 02.09.08
Burglary in the Diesel store in Center City. A truck backed through the window of the Diesel store and stole about $22,000 worth of clothing. They cropped this photo so you can't actually see the hole in the glass, but I guess it was more important to see the people's faces than evidence of the nonexistent window. They're not actually both Diesel employees, but the editors changed the caption thinking they were.

Issue 02.09.08
Police Commissioner Ramsey talking at UPenn about campus crime.

Also in February 9th's issue... my favorite photo of the day so far. (I didn't write the caption).

Issue 02.05.08
Lots of clips today... Rendell, Fumo, the Hooters, and a photo of the day.





Issue 02.02.08
Tough-looking Philly cops and my first basketball shoot.


1.26.08
Camden Dreams opens up a new facility in Camden that provides education, job training and housing for homeless and orphaned youth in the city. This was my first day and my first assignment at the Daily News. I had expected to shadow someone for a week, but they threw me right into the fire. I had no idea what to expect and was terrified I would let them down.
No comments:
Post a Comment